Fractional laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment that uses devices to deliver laser beams that are split into thousands of microscopic treatment sites, targeting part of the skin at a time
Fractional laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment that uses devices to deliver laser beams that are split into thousands of microscopic treatment sites, targeting part of the skin at a time.
Fractional laser therapy is used in:
- Facial lines and wrinkles
- Surgical scar and acne scar
- Skin pigmentation associated with aging
- Sun damage
It can be used anywhere on the body but is particularly beneficial on the chest, neck and hands.
How Does Fractional Laser Therapy Work?
As the body ages, the appearance and properties of the skin change. The top layer of the skin becomes thinner, so imperfections become more visible and the collagen in the middle layer disappears over time. This causes the formation of facial lines, wrinkles and sagging.
Fractional laser causes a reaction that leads to collagen remodeling and formation of new collagen. While the laser intensively treats the area, the healthy tissue remains intact and helps the wound heal. This fractional treatment provides a faster healing process than exposing all tissues in the treatment area to laser.
Pre-treatment Evaluation and Preparation
- Pre-treatment with bleaching cream or chemical peels may be required for patients with darker skin or skin tone problems.
- The patient must remove all jewelry and make-up. Before treatment, the face should be washed with soap and water.
- An anesthetic cream is applied to the treatment area. It takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes for the anesthesia to take full effect.
Post-Treatment and Recovery
- The lubricating gel is purified after treatment.
- Patients may experience a slight burning sensation approximately one hour after treatment.
- Swelling is usually minor and should resolve within 2-3 days.
- The skin will have a pinkish tone for 3-5 days.
- Within 24 hours, the top layer of the new skin develops and the skin acquires a bronze appearance that can last from 3 to 14 days. Scaling may occur on the skin as the new skin replaces the dead skin tissue that can be treated with a moisturizing cream.
- Skin peeling may be evident when the skin needs to be gently removed with water, vaseline and gauze once or twice a day.
- During the healing phase and for several months after treatment, it is recommended to protect the treatment area using a moisturizing sunscreen with an SPF of at least 50+.